Saturday, January 22, 2011

Fish steaming

I think I am kind of lucky really. I am a natural people watcher. I observe people and like doing it. So I am suited for my job in that way. Sometimes I will go to a cafe or restaurant by myself and get food and sit back and watch people going about their business. Or if I am at some holiday resort hotel I like going to the pool side and lie back in the chair and watch people interact. I do enjoy it.

Today I had a meeting with a stranger and found the whole thing fascinating. I want to buy a fish steamer. I want to cook some fish by steaming them. I went to one of those kitchen ware shops and the owner comes up to me and I tell him what I am looking for. He takes me to the items and shows me this fish steamer.

Gun girl
People do interesting stuff


I am looking at this thing and it is not a fish steamer it is an implement for poaching fish. I tell him that I am after a thing to steam fish. He then assures me that it is a fish steamer and proceeds to explain how it works. One part pulls out, you put the fish on it and lower it into the pan type of thing. As he explains it I am responding that it means the fish will be cooked in the water and not in the steam coming off the water. He is again reassuring me that this is a fish steamer. I am looking at this guy and he is lying to my face and he is not even blinking. I am not angry or anything but more surprised and amazed.

Jumper

This goes on for a few minutes and then he changes his story. He says that I am right, it is a fish poacher and there is no such thing as a fish steamer. If I want to steam fish I have to buy a vegetable steamer and steam the fish in that. He then proceeds to show me one of those.

By this time he has got me smiling. He has spent the first few minutes telling me to my face that it was a fish steamer and now he is saying that it is not a fish steamer. But the interesting part was how he didn’t even blink as he told outright lies to me and how he changed his story and then carried on like that meant nothing.


Hammer

Needless to say I did not purchase any items but what an interesting way to spend a Saturday afternoon.

Graffiti

No comments:

Post a Comment